Saturday, August 20, 2011

Interview with Lily Sawyer

 My friends, I have the pleasure of interviewing the esteemed author, Lily Sawyer.

1- How did you start writing gay fiction and/or erotica? Please tell us a bit about your background and early beginnings.
I began writing fan fiction, my first story was in the Star Trek universe.  Then I wrote in another fandom. In 2006, I watched Brokeback Mountain and a whole new world opened up for me.  I began writing gay romance stories in the BBM fandom.  Several writers in that fandom started writing original stories and I decided to try my hand at it too.

2- What inspires you?
I'm a romantic at heart, I get inspired by other writers, some movies I've watched and people I know in real life.


(Nathan: Me too).

3- What do you hope to accomplish with your writing?I support gay rights and I hope, through my writing,  I will send a message that one of the most important things you can do in this life is to love someone and it should not matter who that person is or what gender they are.  Straight or gay doesn't matter.


(Nathan: I absolutely agree. Looks like we have a lot in common).

4- If you had to choose, which one of your novels do you like the most and why?

I like all of my books, but if I have to choose a favorite I'd have to pick "Catch of the Day"   I never thought I'd write a fantasy story.  My merman was born out of my love of the water.  I wanted to create a creature and Jaran was born.  "I'd have to say I am also rather proud of my latest release "Somebody to Love." It takes place on Long Island (where I was born and raised). 

5- If you had a message for your readers and fans, what would it be?
I think every writer needs some encouragement and feedback from readers. I'd like to thank all my readers/fans for reading my stories and for taking the time to comment.

My blog: http://lilysawyerbooks.blogspot.com/

Here is an excerpt from "Somebody to Love."

Somebody to Love-by Lily Sawyer



Available from Secret Cravings
http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/LilySawyer.html

Blurb:

Sam Warner is busy working in his flower shop creating beautiful
arrangements to celebrate all the happy moments in his customer's lives. He only wished
he had something joyful to celebrate.

He was in a relationship until the day he came home to an empty apartment
and a 'Dear John' letter. Hurt and alone he decides he doesn't want to be in
another relationship ever again. But fate has stepped in and he meets Matt
Doyle, the bartender at a local bar.

Can Sam give love a second chance?

Excerpt:

The Corner Pub was crowded for a Thursday night and several large TV sets
were tuned to baseball games. Sam Warner loved baseball. He decided to take a
break from his flower store up the street and wandered in. Settling into one of
the comfortable seats to watch the game, he couldn't help notice a dark haired
man tending bar. He wore a black t-shirt with the bar's name emblazoned onto the
front. He must be a new guy because Sam didn't remember seeing him before.

One of the other patrons sidled up to the bar and asked, "Hey, Matt, give me
another beer, will you?"

Matt, so that's his name, Sam thought not able to keep his eyes off him.
Something about him made Sam want to go over and say hello. He needed a refill,
and seeing that as an opportunity to speak with him, he got up and wandered
slowly over to the bar.

"Come on, hit a home run!" A burly guy was screaming at the screen jumped up
just as Sam arrived at the bar, and his beer landed all over the front of Sam's
green polo shirt.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry." The man grabbed some napkins and dabbed the beer.
"Let me buy you a drink."

"It's okay." Sam smiled reassuringly, and the guy disappeared back into the
crowd. He looked over at the bartender. He could tell Matt was trying to hide an
amused smile as he offered him a roll of paper towels.

"Here, use some club soda." He handed Sam a glass filled with the bubbly
drink.
After getting most of the stain out, Sam put the wad of paper towels on the
bar counter.
The bartender threw them into the trash, leaned over and said, "I'm Matt
Doyle," and held out his hand.

Sam accepted and looked down at their clasped hands, his blond hair falling
down, partially covering his eyes. Sam's brown eyes looked back up into Matt's
blue ones.
"Mine's Sam Warner." He managed to get out without embarrassing himself. He
could feel his palms sweat. Something about being near Matt made him nervous.

"Pleased to meet you Sam," Matt took a glass and poured some beer from the
tap and placed it on the counter in front of him.

Sam looked up and smiled. "You must be new. I've never seen you before."

Something was going on between them, and Sam hoped it wasn't wishful
thinking. Not that long ago he'd been in a serious four-year relationship that
had ended badly. Ever since then he'd been reluctant to date again.

"Yeah, I just started a week ago. I used to work at Daffy's over on Second
Street."
"I've never been there."

"You're not missing much. The drinks are watered down, and the pay was
lousy." Matt restocked the shelves behind the counter. "So you're a baseball
fan?"

"Oh, yeah been a fan ever since my dad took me to a game when I was seven
years old." He didn't know why he was telling this man his life story. Maybe
what they said about bartenders being like your father confessor was true. Matt
certainly was not only easy to talk to, he was easy on the eyes as well.

"Who do you like?"

"Don't laugh but I like the Mets."

"Those guys? So you like routing for the underdog." Matt chuckled.

"Hey, what can I say? My dad got me hooked on them, couldn't stop telling me
enough about when they'd won the World Series." Sam gazed at Matt over the rim
of his glass.

"I'm not knocking it. I think rooting for the underdog is admirable." Matt's
smile lit up the room, and it made Sam's heart skip a few beats.

"Really?" Sam asked shyly.

Matt smiled back. "Sure is."

Sam noticed how late it was. He decided not to stay to watch the end of the
game. He needed a good night's sleep to start filling more flower orders in the
morning. "Well, I better get going."

"So soon?" Matt sounded disappointed. "It was nice meeting you, Sam."

"Same here." He turned around and walked toward the door but stopped when he
heard Matt's voice.

"Hey, there's a game here on Sunday afternoon. Think you can make it?" Matt
told him.

"Nah, I'm busy, but maybe sometime next week?" Sam was reluctant to tell
Matt he was a florist. He didn't want Matt to think he was less of a man because
of his choice of jobs.

"I'll catch you another time." Matt said .

"I'll be back," Sam walked back to the bar and leaned in close to Matt and
met the blue eyes with his own. "Count on it."

"Night, Sam."

Sam felt Matt's eyes on him as he left. He left the bar feeling better than
when he'd gone in. He wasn't sure if this was going to turn into anything, but
he wasn't going to close the door on that possibility.


Lily's books are available on Amazon.com

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lily,

    Seems like a nice read for a weekend afternoon. Nice interview and good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Lily! Congrats on your new book. :)

    ReplyDelete